Home > Others > UPTLC > For Students > NETP Programme and Scholarship
NETP Programme and Scholarship
ESTABLISHMENT OF NATIONAL ELECTIVE TAMIL LANGUAGE PROGRAMME (NETP)
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE
- The programme aims to nurture secondary school and Junior College (JC) students who have an aptitude in the Tamil Language to acquire greater proficiency in the language and deeper appreciation of the language, literature and culture. The NETP programme will be hosted at the Umar Pulavar Tamil Language Centre (UPTLC).
Target Student Groups
- At the secondary level, the NETP will be open to both Higher Tamil Language (HTL) students studying at UPTLC and students who offer HTL in their respective secondary schools and centres. Briefing sessions will be conducted for interested HTL students who will then register themselves for the NETP at UPTLC.
- For NETP (Secondary), HTL students could enrol in elective modules at UPTLC. The range of modules serves different objectives of honing their language skills, cultivating their appreciation of Tamil literature and culture, or expanding their knowledge of the history and current affairs of India. The modules will be conducted in some afternoons during term time and re-runs of these modules will also be conducted during the school holidays. For each module, the NETP students are expected to complete an oral presentation, a reflection journal and participate in online forum discussion through the i-MTL portal.
- Students in the NETP programme will be given opportunities to attend cultural camps, flagship programmes (e.g. internship programme, job attachment or budding writer mentoring programme), workshops and talks by TL experts and participate in one overseas immersion of at least two weeks duration to India at Secondary 3.
- Overall, the NETP (Secondary) programme will take 100 – 120 hours over four years from Sec 1 to Sec 4 (or about 30 hours per year).
Table 1: Programme Outline for NETP (Secondary)
||Brief description of content
Language and Presentation
|Enhancing oral communication (e.g. public speaking and presentation) and creative writing.
||For each module, all NETP students will complete an oral presentation, a reflection journal and participate in online forum discussion using i-MTL portal.
Language and Literature
Enhancing students’ oratorical skills (debating skills).
Introduction to classical and/or contemporary literature.
|Upper Sec (Sec 3 & 4)||
Tamil Culture and Aesthetics
Introduction to rich cultural heritage and practices of TL
|Knowing India (Basic)
||Understanding the contemporary developments in India (Basic)
NETP (Junior College)
- At the JC level, the NETP will be open to all JC students offering the H2 Tamil Language and Literature  (H2TLL). Students who wish to be in JC NETP must have good overall O-level examination results obtaining one of the following:
- Grade A2 or above in Tamil; or
- Grade B3 or above in Higher Tamil; or
- Grade B4 or above in Higher Tamil and B3 or above in Tamil Literature; or
- Equivalent results based on IP school assessment.
- For NETP (Junior College), JC NETP students will attend elective modules (each of 25-30 hr duration) on ‘Understanding India’ and ‘Media Arts’.
- JC NETP students will also be given opportunities to participate in flagship programmes (e.g. internship programme, job attachment, mentorship programmes e.t.c), workshops and talks by TL experts and an overseas immersion of at least two-week duration to India.
Table 2: Programme Outline for NETP (JC)
||Brief description of Content
|Understanding history and contemporary development of India.
||For each module, all JC NETP students will complete an oral presentation, a reflection journal and participate in online forum discussion using i-MTL portal.
Media and Performing Arts
(25- 30 hrs)
Opportunities to practice the features of Indian fine art and film making.
- The NETP will be implemented in phases from 2012, viz, Sec 1, Sec 3 and JC1 in 2012 followed by Sec 2, Sec 4 and JC 2 from 2013. UPTLC will conduct briefings for TL coordinators from secondary schools, TL centres and JCs.
NETP Scholarship for JC students
- The NETP Scholarship is offered by MOE to encourage academically able and linguistically talented students who have already studied the relevant subject up to O-level, to pursue the subject at H2 level at UPTLC under the NETP programme.
NETP Scholarship Terms and Conditions
- Students applying for NETP scholarship should satisfy the following conditions:
- are Singapore Citizens;
- have done consistently well in school and have obtained outstanding overall results in the O-level examinations/equivalent results based on IP schools’ internal assessment;
- have successfully been admitted into UPTLC and obtained a place in the NETP (JC) programme;
- Have a good record of co-curricular activities; and
- Not currently be in receipt of any MOE scholarship (except EESIS & ESIP).
- The NETP scholarship is valued at $1,000 per annum. It also covers school fees based on Singapore Citizens’ rates, subject to an annual cap of $2,400. The scholarship is tenable for 2 years subject to satisfactory progress at the end of JC1 and good conduct. Successful applicants are not required to enter into a bond to serve the Singapore Government.
- Successful applicants must offer H2 Tamil Language and Literature at GCE A-Level. There will not be any restriction on the choice of the remaining subjects.
- Eligible students will be identified and nominated for the scholarship interview. Please approach UPTLC for more information.
- Successful applicants are also required to participate in the following activities organised by the Ministry of Education:
2.1 Creative Writing Camp
2.2 Overseas Study cum Immersion Programme
2.3 Lecture Series